Thursday, August 21, 2014

gear upgrades.

luckily our first stop is in Breckenridge which will be the biggest town we see until Durango.  we decided that some of our gear could be better so we've switched out the following:

- water filter: we have a pump which we've used for years, but have seen a few lighter and faster options.  pills would be the lightest but I'm not stoked about adding chemicals to our water, so we've opted for a gravity filter.

- rain coat: this is the piece of clothing I had the hardest time with, because I wanted something worth it's weight- and I didn't think it would rain a lot. our old rain gear was bought on clearance and it's too big.  before we left I bought a very lightweight rain coat, water resistant not waterproof.  after being caught in a few storms and it soaking me through, I went to Columbia and got a legit waterproof coat.  I've kept my old rain pants because I bet they'll get worn once (maybe), because replacements cost $170 at Patagonia, and because they're neon orange.

- sleeping pads: fuck mummy everything.  our bags are hourglass shaped, so a hybrid btw a mummy and a standard rectangle. I sleep best on my stomach with one leg flamingo'ed out.  the last week I've spent as much time on my pad asleep as off, the mummy doesn't work- so we got some rectangular lightweight ones to fix that.  wide and long.

- pants: purchased a pair of fleece leggings to wear over long underwear at camp.  it's just getting colder and higher.

- gloves: sent home my basic winter gloves and upgraded to a warm fleece lined waterproof pair- for the rainstorms.

- snacks: the last 2 days I started to bonk, I was def not eating enough.  so, we resupplied with way more denser snacks.  the bummer is that we're starting the next segment with heavy loads and some heavy climbs.  


eating (not enough) snacks on Boulder Ridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment